Thursday, December 4, 2008

Christmas Tradition #2

I have very smart parents. When we were little I remember having "secret pals" at Christmas time. After Family Home Evening my mom would write everyone's name on a slip of paper and then put the papers into a bowl. Then, we would each draw someone's name. Because we are realy cool, we would all eat our pieces of paper to make sure no one knew which name we drew. Throuhought the week we would do secret acts of service for that person. It really brought the spirit of Christmas into our home. I remember sneaking around to make someone's bed or pick up their room and then finding similar things done for me. One time I remember finding some brand new books laying on my pillow. I still have those books.
After we would do an act of service we would put a piece of straw into a manger (see below). The more service we did, the softer it would be for Baby Jesus.

6 comments:

Super Kimmie said...

What a great tradition! You do have smart parents.

Utah Valley Sports Network said...

Emily that is a great tradition....great way to teach service. Love you Guys
Carol and Steve

Jenni Peay said...

I love that idea, i think i want to start doing it, cute boys you have

Neal said...

Great tradition...pure genius!!

Chemenn said...

Hey Emily! I'm checking out your blog, I hope you don't mind. I love this tradition. I think it's a good one to carry on. Hope you are doing well!

Chemenn said...

ha! that's funny! Gosh I miss you guys. I really, really do. I always though we'd be moving away, but now we're the ones staying and everyone else is leaving. Is it OK if I add you to my blog list?